Calmly, quietly, and infrequently, i write what comes to mind and share only what might be helpful to others.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Creator of ?

God the Creator, by speaking, made heaven and earth. God the Creator, by speaking, made man in his image. God, by speaking, created everything ex nihilo (out of nothing). From nothing, God created matter; from chaos God created order; from dust God created man.

Like God, we also are creators. Like God, we create by speaking. While no person I know can create matter by speaking, like God, we use words to create ex nihilo (out of nothing). By speaking evil, I can create havoc. By speaking kindness, I can create positive feelings in myself and others. Ex nihilo, I can choose words of faith rather than words of despair, expressions of love over hate, even action over apathy. Yes, I know God created me, and so, without God I cannot speak or act; yet, God allows me to create as he created, through spoken words; and God gives me choice to move and think and say and be whatever I choose. God has even made it known what kind of life (Word) is most creative -- one of service and sacrifice and suffering.

What are my words creating? What are your words creating? What might our conversation create?

2 comments:

Christopher Green said...

Our prayer together yesterday (5/16) was creative in ways tangential to the actual topic and yet, spiritually connected to the whole.

Words are among the most powerful entities at our disposal. What an incredible responsibility to speak. I resolve silence should best inform my words.

CG

Liz Moore said...

It's amazing to me how powerful our words our, but how carelessly we sometimes use them. Your blog is called "A Quiet Voice". If we actually listened and used that quiet voice within us more often, we would probably be amazed at how much better our life would be and how much more would look like Christ. Thanks for making me think about the voice I'm using.