Calmly, quietly, and infrequently, i write what comes to mind and share only what might be helpful to others.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Good Pain

Choices come and choices go, but the consequences of the choices I make keep on giving. Right choices, whenever those are accomplished, often provide positive consequences, so I make that same choice each time the situation is presented, like ordering a chocolate almond shake at Braums.

Sometimes, right choices result in negative consequences, like choosing to stand up to a bully and finding yourself with a bloody nose, a few missing teeth and a damaged ego. Of course, some would say those aren't negative consequences at all, but rather, positive consequences since the right thing was done and a lesson was learned (don't stand up to bullies? standing up to bullies is painful? standing up to bullies result in positive, painful consequences? -- positive painful -- an oxymoron?).

I have found that most people equate pain with "bad." To them, there is no such thing as good pain. The closest thing to good pain, it seems, is pain that helps us be vain, as in, "I am in pain from working out, but now I can wear those pants and look better." That's physical pain. Emotional pain -- BAD!

If my choices create pain in me or in others, that's BAD! Well, I think there is such a thing as good pain, useful pain. What is that? Probably pain that helps me grow up. And somewhat like the song says -- "breaking up is hard to do," -- growing up is hard to do, too. It takes good pain. And good pain comes from choices. How often do I choose to make choices that I know will result in "good pain?"

5 comments:

Robert said...

Thanks for allowing me to experince my own growing pains along the way - every one of them wound up being a "good" pain.

I'm glad you did not try to rescue me from them - while they were temporary, they were powerful and needed to be esperienced. They have made me a much more authentic, compassionate, and determined Christ follower.

Your's may be a "quite voice", but it contians much strength and wisdom. Thanks for blessing me with it.

Jon Mullican said...

You are welcome. Hope all is well in your world. Please catch me up via email when you get a chance.

Liz Moore said...

There is the old saying, no pain... no gain. I think that's true in our spiritual life as well. No one wants to go through pain, but sometimes through our pain we are drawn into a more intimate relationship with God than we have ever had before.

James 1:2,3 2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

Without that pain, we sometimes have no gain in our life with Christ. I think that's good pain.

Jim Martin said...

Jon,
I just found your blog. I read several of your posts. This is a very good blog! I will link your blog on mine.

Jon Mullican said...

Thanks, I appreciate that. Can I reciprocate? Jon